Eating healthier this holiday season has been made a little easier by our HealthWorks! dietitians. We created better-for-you versions of our favorite dishes. Try them out and let us know how they taste!
Makes 16 servings
These brownies have more protein and fiber with less fat and sugar – you won’t miss it!
- ¾ cup cooked black beans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips, divided
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 eggs or ½ cup egg substitute
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup sugar or sugar substitute (or use half of each)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a blender, puree the beans with the oil and applesauce. Add eggs, cocoa, sugar, and vanilla and blend until smooth.
- Melt ¼ cup of the chocolate chips in microwave (put in microwave safe dish and microwave on high for approximately one minute). Add to blender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt; add to blender and pulse until just mixed together. Stir in remaining chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake until the surface looks ‘matte’ around edges and still a bit shiny in the middle, about 20 minutes. Let cool at least 15 minutes before cutting and removing from the pan.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 126 calories, 3 gm protein, 18 gm carbohydrates, 5 gm fat, 3 gm fiber, 40 mg cholesterol, 144 mg sodium.