- There are 36 employees in the ultrasound division? Thirty-four are registered technologists and two are clinical support assistants.
- These 36 employees have a total of 450 years of combined service and experience?
- These employees cover the Main Campus hospital around the clock, 365 days/year, and also cover five outpatient sites at Liberty Campus, Green Township, Mason, Anderson and Kentucky?
- Over 55% of these employees have been working in the ultrasound division for over 10 years?
- These employees performed 30,630 exams in 2015?
Photo: Ultrasound scan room with TV and DVD player to keep our patients occupied.
They have six ultrasound scan rooms in the department at the Main Campus, and a portable machine to do scans at the bedside for critically ill patients. Each scan room is equipped with a radiant warmer over the bed for the patient’s comfort as well as a TV and DVD player. Age-appropriate toys are available for patients to play with during an ultrasound study. The ultrasound technologists aim to distract rather than sedate for their exams. Child Life is also available to aid in distracting young patients.
Photo: Lighted toys for distracting younger patients.
Related Article: New Ultrasound Technology at Cincinnati Children’s
There are two scan rooms at Outpatient Liberty, and one each at the outpatient sites in Mason, Anderson, Green Township and Kentucky.
While most of their resources are used in a clinical setting, ultrasound is also used in several interesting research projects, improving healthcare for children here in Cincinnati and around the world.