This Instagram-Ready Photograph is Profoundly Dangerous - Cincinnati Children's Blog

This Instagram-Ready Photograph is Profoundly Dangerous

In April 2010, Sam Hanke, MD, fell asleep on the couch with his 4-week-old son Charlie and woke up, hours later, to find his baby had passed away.

Charlie fell victim to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome next to his sleeping father.

The idyllic image of the dad sleeping with his baby on his chest, turned tragic. It turns out that image of the tired dad and the placid child, which has become so popular on Instagram and other social media sites, depicts very real danger.

To read about how Dr. Hanke now works to educate and support parents in making safe-sleep choices, click on

Subscribe today for more stories, tips and updates.

Cincinnati Children's News Team

About the Author: Cincinnati Children's News Team

The members of the news team at Cincinnati Children's are responsible for telling the stories of the medical center. Stories of the families we serve, research and clinical care, safe and healthy practices and happenings at the hospital. If it has to do with Cincinnati Children's, Danielle, Nick, Jim, Kate, Rachel, Terry and Shannon will keep you informed.

Write a comment


No Comments Yet! You can be first to comment on this post!