Eating healthier this holiday season has been made a little easier by our HealthWorks! dietitians. We created better-for-you versions of our favorite dishes. Try them out and let us know how they taste!
Recipe: Cranberry Meatballs
Makes 60 servings (1 meatball)
Make an extra batch of these meatballs and freeze for a quick and easy meal. They’re great in other dishes too – use in spaghetti sauce, a Swedish meatball recipe, or a hoagie.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef, ground turkey or ground buffalo (or any combination)
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup egg substitute (equivalent of 2 eggs)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup corn flake crumbs
- 2 tablespoons dry onion
- 1/3 cup dried parsley flakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix all ingredients above and shape into walnut-sized balls.
- Place in a shallow baking pan and bake for 20 minutes; pour off grease.
- Bake 10 minutes longer; pour off grease.
- Drain on paper towels.
If you don’t like cranberries or just want a different taste, substitute your family’s favorite BBQ or teriyaki sauce.
- 1 can whole cranberries
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 bottle chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Place ingredients in a small sauce pan and heat.
- Pour sauce over meatballs and keep warm in chaffing dish or crockpot. Serve as an appetizer with toothpicks or over rice as an entrée.
Nutrition facts per meatball: 48 calories, 3 gm protein, 4 gm carbohydrates, 2 gm fat, <1 gm fiber, 11 mg cholesterol, 146 mg sodium.