Here’s a great breakfast recipe that is perfect for company but easy enough to fix for the family anytime. Prepare everything the day before so that all you have to do is pop it in the oven in the morning!
Makes 6 servings: 2 slices per serving
- 12 slices whole wheat bread
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup egg substitute or egg whites
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 cup fat free half & half
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 – 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Toppings: warmed, no-sugar-added applesauce, fresh fruit or sugar-free syrup
- Spray a large glass baking dish with vegetable oil cooking spray. Place bread slices into the baking dish. You might have to cut the bread slices to fit.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg substitute, vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Add milk and half & half to egg mixture. Mix well.
- Pour egg mixture over the bread, making sure to coat every slice of bread.
- Cover pan with foil and refrigerate for 4-36 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Bake casserole for 45 minutes to an hour. It will puff up when it gets close to being done (when the liquid no longer jiggles).
- Serve with warmed applesauce, fresh fruit or sugar-free syrup.
- This recipe is a great way to use up “day-old” bread. Dense or slightly stale whole wheat bread will absorb the egg mixture without getting too soggy.
- Experiment with fruit toppings – for the most flavorful fruit at the best price, choose what’s in season.