Allergy-Friendly Recipe: Creamy Pasta Sauce
Our dietitians put together holiday recipes that exclude the six most common food allergens. Recipe courtesy of Bethany Doerfler.
- 1 can white kidney (cannelloni) beans
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 plum tomatoes (diced)
- ½ cup black or Kalamata olives
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup gluten free vegetable or chicken broth
- ½ pound of quinoa or corn based allergy free pasta
- Cook pasta according to directions and set aside. Open canned beans and strain.
- In a medium pan or Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté onions, garlic, diced olives and tomatoes until onions are soft.
- Add broth and beans and sauté another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add mixture to blender or use an Immersion blender to puree until smooth.
- Additional broth can be added until desired texture is reached.
- Combine with cooked pasta.
- Add fresh basil leaves to dish for flavor and color. Salt to taste.